Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Citizenship Chronicles, #6


Wow, you Yanks really like your citizens, don’t you? I am getting so much positive feedback when I tell people I’ve applied for my citizenship. One co-worker has promised to bake me a cake when it’s official, and another has said she will decorate my desk with balloons (that’s usually just reserved for birthdays!). Someone else gave me official flash cards for the civics test, and everyone is eagerly quizzing me when they walk past my desk (OK, well, after I have badgered them to “Test me! Test me!”). Why so much excitement, do you think? I mean, I know you are a very patriotic lot, but, really, your level of enthusiasm is surprising. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's just because we are all excited for *you*! If this is something that you want--and clearly it is--then we support you all the way!

    Did anyone mention, however, that you will have to stop putting the emphasis on the second syllable in "weekEND" and you'll have to learn how to say "while" instead of "whilst"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I am willing to negotiate the pronunciation of weekEND, you will have to pry whilst out of my cold, dead hands.

    ReplyDelete