Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Belated Birthday Greetings, Sammy!



Oh my gosh, what with all this citizenship stuff going on, I completely spaced out Sammy’s “birthday” (it was last Wednesday). It is hard to believe it has been three years since that one-eyed little biter came into my life…

I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was a scorching Saturday and I was reading a murder-mystery. The author had made a huge continuity error and so I decided to e-mail him (love that most authors these days include a website and/or e-mail address in their bios). I went online and was checking out the author’s website. He had a section on the rescue work he does with dogs, so, for some reason, I decided to look at the local ASPCA site.

Sammy’s info was one of the first listed. His being declawed was a huge plus, as was the fact that it was Cat Adoption Month which meant reduced adoption fees (I’m cheap).

But I hate driving…

Well, why not call O., maybe she needs to go to the shelter (O. is a friend who runs a dog-rescue charity here in Vegas). So I call her. She was out and about anyway and could fit in a shelter run (it’s actually strange that she and I were not doing anything together that day anyway, because this was before she got a boyfriend (sorry, he’s a fiancĂ© now) and we used to do all sorts of stuff together pre-BF/fiancĂ©).

So off we went and the rest, as they say, is history. 

It boggles my mind when I think of all the tiny elements that went into Sammy and I getting together. Just one could have been off-kilter and it wouldn’t have happened. What if I was reading a different book? What if the author had not made that mistake? What if the website was out-of-date and Sammy had already been adopted? What if O. was not available?

But I wasn’t, he did, it wasn’t, and she was, and I finally met my soul mate.

I love you, Sammy-Jammy-Bobammy.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story & happy belated bday to Sammy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that story! Happy birthday, Sammy! I'm sure you feel as lucky to have had Michelle find you as she does!

    ReplyDelete