Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Boss Story, #1



Yesterday reminded me of a boss I once had. Fourth of July the year I worked for him fell on a Saturday. Of course every office in America was closed the Friday before. But he decided he wasn’t going to close because it was his company and he could do want he wanted. My co-workers and I could not convince him that it was a supremely stupid idea and that any work we wanted to achieve would all be internal because none of our customers, vendors, etc., would be at work. But the stubborn Capricorn he was, he would not budge. So in we trotted (I have to say, the commute in was very light – because we were the only ones making it!) and I told everyone that I would make a $10 donation to my favorite charity every time the phone rang (at the time, they did not know that my favorite charity is my liquor cabinet). Anyway, around ten-ish (after the phone had rung once – it was a friend of the boss seeing if he wanted to go for a run), he wanders into the main office and says, “I didn’t realize it would be so quiet. Let’s close the offices for the rest of the day.” Urgh!!!

2 comments: