Monday, June 18, 2012

Random Ramblings, #3



Why isn’t The Discovery Channel the most watched channel in the world? Seriously, ask anyone who is either slightly pretentious and/or is embarrassed by how much television he or she watches, and you will get the same answer: “Oh, I don’t watch much TV. Usually just The Discovery Channel.” If everyone who says they watch The Discovery Channel actually did, its ratings would be sky-high, it could command Superbowl-level ad rates. And why isn’t The Simpsons the most watched TV program? Because these same Discovery Channel-watching people, if they mention a specific TV show, nine times out of ten it is The Simpsons. It’s like The Discovery Channel and The Simpsons are the only cool things on. (Just imagine how high The Discovery Channel’s ratings would be if they ran episodes of The Simpsons.)

I just don’t get why anyone would be embarrassed by how much television they watch. I mean, I am not. It is a very noble hobby. Whenever I move, making sure my cable is hooked up is always my top priority. I easily get through 20 hours or so a week in the summer, more so in the winter. In the six weeks or so leading up to Lost’s last episode, I was praying to a god I do not believe in to keep me alive long enough to see the last episode. I once cut a date short because he did not own a TV. I have never watched an episode of The Simpsons from start to finish and I don’t know if I even get The Discovery Channel.

2 comments:

  1. Very valid points. My biggest issue with Discover is they try to put too many shows THEY THINK WE'LL LOVE!!!!! and then they lose me. I have seen some really cool shit on there, though (but I'll be honest, it's been awhile since I've watched it). I haven't watched the Simpsons in awhile either, but I used to and let me tell ya girlie, you are missing something. It's fucking hilarious! One of the best Inside the Actor's Studios EVER was when he had that cast on.

    I'm sounding pretentious now, aren't I? Well, you know I don't watch much TV, but it's not about being pretentious and thinking I'm above it. I just love my iPad and computer way more (both because of the internet AND all the books I can read and articles). I don't look down on TV watchers and I've had my moments there too...I just prefer when everyone shuts the fuck up (i.e., when it's quiet) and I can just read. :o)

    Liesl

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite pretentious channel is Smithsonian. But give me an episode of White Collar any day.

    ReplyDelete