Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Welcome to the Cesspool of Negativity



(A shout-out to co-worker, friend, and loyal reader L. who inspired this post’s title – she thinks I can be a little negative at times! (Her nickname for me is “Dark Side”.))

Things are weird right now. Post-holiday/birthday blues is a big factor. But a lot of it has to do with work. Major management shifts going on, new people in (middle-aged white guys, of course), and some people out (but not the ones I would really like to see go, but rumor has it the purge is not done with yet so one can hope this person or this person might be next). No, I take that back. However much I abhor those two people, I would never wish job loss upon anyone.

And then there is uncertainty about my future in my current apartment. The building has new owners and my lease is up for renewal at the end of February. I cannot afford a huge rent hike but neither can I afford to move.

Then I have a new bill being added to my expenditure that is going to be around $150 a month for the next 18 months.

Then, Idol is back tomorrow, so I have to decide if I am going to watch it and if so, if I am going to blog about it. Because if I don’t that will reduce the number of posts but on the other hand if I do blog about it those of you who do not watch Idol are going to be bored. Decisions, decisions.

Then there is the possibility that it could be a Broncos/49ers Superbowl. This would be awful on so many levels. You all know how much I hate the Broncos so of course I would never root for them, but, on the other hand, if the 49ers were to win that would give them the same number of championship rings as my beloved Steelers and that does not work for me. Because however crappy a season the Steelers have (and this one was bad) we can always say we have more Superbowl wins than anyone else. We will not be able to say that if the 49ers win. But if they don’t win, that means the Broncos will… now can you see why I am in such a mess right now?

So, yes, L. is right - I am a little negative. But I hope you all know I would love nothing more than to write about my fabulous dates with Anderson Cooper, or my adventures at art shows and cocktail parties, or the $150 a month that is being added to my bank account instead of being taken out of it or post pictures of delicious meals I had at Strip restaurants instead of mall food court junk food. But those are not part of my life right now, whilst work upheavals and possible rent hikes are. And I have to write about something, right?

2 comments:

  1. So, this is bad advice considering where you are right now--but when you get back on your feet, you could try finding one thing a day to be grateful for. It could be that someone holds a door open for you, or waited for you to cross the street before turning, or even just smiled at you in an elevator. I started doing that, and the next thing I knew, I was seeing good all around me. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete