Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend



Before I gave in and looked up the exact wording of the phrase in the above subject line, I tried to come up with it myself, without resorting to internet research and I was rolling around different versions in my head, and came up with all sorts of permutations:

  • The friend of my enemy is not my friend
  • My enemy has a friend
  • I hate my enemy’s friend
  • I love my enemy’s enemy
  • I would like to give my enemy an enema

What I am trying to say is, do I think Chelsea Handler is a terrible writer because she is or because someone I hate thinks she is a good writer?

Background needed? Fine, if you insist: Someone I know is a big fan of Chelsea Handler and her books. I dislike this person intensely (long story but basically this person is a back-stabbing two-faced suck-up whoremonger) (and the use of the word “whoremonger” is not meant to be provocative; this person used to pimp here in Las Vegas). But because I am not a hypocrite, I decided to give the Chelsea Handler books a chance. And well, really, is it just me and some weird form of transference or do these books truly suck? They are not that funny and she is so long-winded and she thinks she is so cool because she drinks so much and farts, but I bet I could drink that bitch under the table and I know I could out-fart her. But is my judgment clouded by my hatred of the whoremonger? Is that a question I will ever be able to answer? Because if by some miracle, I become best friends with the whoremonger, if I re-read the books would I then enjoy them?

But to be fair to Ms. Handler, it is not just her. Like, I think Howard Stern is scum of the earth so I never buy any Snapple products. I absolutely despise a certain actor simply because he looks like a horrible boss I once had. And I have taken Clint Eastwood off my 101 Sexiest Men Alive list because he just endorsed Mitt Romney.

Silly principles, maybe, but as long as no one else suffers, right?

4 comments:

  1. I will endeavour to read something by Ms Handler and give you my honest opinion. Well noted on the Clint

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha - i spoke too soon. South Taranaki District Libraries has nothing by her. mmm see if I can find a copy without spending $

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested to know who this previous pimp is and how exactly you know them . . . does the hatred stem from a certain deal gone bad? So why take revenge for a whoremonger out on a dwarf-lover? To thine ownself hate what enemies are not the least of our friends hatred thus. Especially that vile Clint stupid Eastwood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a person at work who I am struggling to treat fairly because she reminds me of someone at another job that I did not like. But what Gina said was probably more "high road." ;-)

    ReplyDelete