Monday, November 11, 2013

Today I Am An American



Getting my citizenship was one thing (can you believe that was a year ago?), and voting for the first time will be another (yeah, sorry, didn’t vote last week because no one outside the library stopped me and asked if I was registered so I completely forgot), but to me, I firmly cemented my Americanhood last week when I went to a drive-in movie theater!!! I was obsessed with all things American growing up, with drive-ins being way up there (and the Harlem Globetrotters, for some reason). Perhaps because we do not have drive-in movie theaters in England. (Or basketball teams.) Well, there might be some there now (I should look that up) but when I lived there, there weren’t. All I knew about drive-ins I learned from Grease. Not sure if there were any in Pittsburgh when I lived there; I know there was one in Denver but I just never got around to going. So when I first moved to Vegas and discovered there was one here, I was determined to go. Six years later, I finally made it. Went with L. and we stayed for about 30 minutes because it wasn’t about the movie, it was about the experience. It was magical. It was all that I’d imagined it would be. It was so… American. Even after all this time in this country some uniquely American things still have the ability to surprise and delight me. I’ll go back if I ever have the opportunity (I’d really like the full-on experience  - you know, making out) but if I do not, I’ve gone at least once and that is enough for me.  And that is another one of my American-obsessed childhood dreams realized. Oh! I just remembered - I saw the Harlem Globetrotters in Denver once. So now all I have to do is marry The Six Million Dollar Man and my American dreams will be complete!

1 comment:

  1. I used to go to the drive-in all the time--with my parents, with my friends, with my sister. It truly is a magical experience! Did your drive-in have those shitty speakers, or did you get the sound through your car radio? Technology.

    ReplyDelete