Thursday, November 21, 2013

Sleeping Duty



My snoring is legendary. Anyone who has been in the same room as me when I am asleep will tell you. Actually, it is so bad you do not even need to be in the same room - just ask the guy in the room next to mine in a Best Western in Buffalo whose pounding on the adjoining wall would have woken up my co-worker had she been able to sleep anyway. I was keeping them both awake, but I slept through it all, his pounding and her tossing and turning. We were on a business trip but it was so bad she got her own room the next night at her own expense. Not sure what happened to our neighbor. Went out and bought himself earplugs if he had any sense.

Anyway, I was talking to someone the other day who said that after he did a sleep study and got set up with the mask thingy you wear if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, he lost 50 pounds. Fifty pounds! So guess what I am doing on Wednesday?  Yep, a sleep study!!!

How cool is that? Like you see on TV, with wires and electrodes stuck to you and things plugged into machines and all sorts of stuff like that. Actually, I have no idea what is involved. The paperwork says participants can get up to use the bathroom (thank the Universe! I have a tiny bladder and get up at least once a night (of course that probably has more to do with the amount of liquids (liquor?) I consume at night, rather than bladder size)). So yeah, if you can get up to use the bathroom, I wouldn’t think you’d be attached to much because that would be a major deal, having to unplug and unstick everything just for a bathroom run.
 
Anyway, what is also cool about the entire thing is that my appointment is for the night before Thanksgiving! I’d decided that perhaps a brunch might be the way to go, no invitations (pity or otherwise) having materialized. But I am such a homebody that once I am in, I usually stay in. But this way, after the study is done on the morning of T-Day, I am out anyway, might as well stay out and go grab breakfast somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment