Friday, August 2, 2013

Dwayne Update



So the boss just called a meeting to give us an update. Dwayne survived and is in the ICU at the mo. The medics said if it were not for the efforts of his co-workers he might not have made it. I was getting all teary during this, as I was yesterday when it was all happening. Part of it is PMS, part of it is dread because it is not a matter of IF it happens to me, it is simply a matter of WHEN. Then the boss said something about having spoken to Dwayne’s girlfriend. And, boom! just like that, I lost all empathy. Not that I want to be his girlfriend (not my type at all) but knowing that he has someone of the opposite sex to whom he is not related that cares about him (something that I do not) made me literally stop caring. Let his girlfriend do all the caring.

Once, at a free movie showing at the public library in Boulder, I was sat there, shortly before the movie was due to start, and a man and woman, obviously married, approached me and asked if I wouldn’t mind moving over so they could sit next to each other. I shrugged and said I was settled and I gestured that I was right in the middle and I liked where I was sitting. Yes, I refused to move one seat over. Petty, I know, but fuck them. If they wanted to sit together they should have arrived earlier. And double fuck them because I am sure they had sat next to each other at a thousand different movies and would have many more opportunities to do so before the divorce or one of them died. Because then you’d be alone and welcome to my world. At least my aloneness did not cost me thousands in divorce lawyer fees or funeral costs. And not having a boyfriend, like Dwayne’s girlfriend does, means I am not pacing the corridors of an ICU. See, how is that for that positive thinking crap you Yanks are always espousing? Being alone equals not having to worry when your BF has a heart attack!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, this mean streak of yours will kill you long before the pizza and wine. ;-)

    P.S. Glad Dwayne is OK.

    ReplyDelete