Monday, January 14, 2013

Dead Men Have Thin Thighs



So I Googled a former paramour recently and discovered he died about a year ago. His online obit is set up so that messages can be left. The following is a list of messages my evil twin wants to place on the website,  followed by a parenthetical explanation as to why she wants to do such a horrid thing.

“How did he do it, does anyone know?”

(Both Evil Twin and I are almost certain it was suicide.)

“If you were truly his soul mate you would have died within three months of his death.”

(The obit has that usual blurb describing his wife as his soul mate. Barf. Plus I subscribe to the Vonnegutian theory (see Cat’s Cradle) that if you truly love someone, you’ll die either with them or shortly thereafter.)

“Last time I saw him, he was wearing my bra and panties. Can I get them back now?”

(OK, this one is slightly exaggerated. It wasn’t actually my under wear, it was from his own personal collection. He weighed about the same as my left thigh, so my lingerie swamped him. But I did leave a Prince CD (it was the nineties – don’t judge) and a pair of stilettos at his place (those did fit him) that I would like back.)

But seriously, why does my mind think of these things first? Why do I not first consider sending his widow a consolatory message? Why do I automatically think of the bad things? I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that the relationship, such as it was, ended badly. Like, for example, when my purely platonic friend A. died, such thoughts never entered my head. So, yeah, I guess it just comes down to my jealousy, pure and simple. Jealous that another chick got to be called his soul mate and not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment