Monday, September 24, 2012

Monet Makes The World Go Around



(Sorry, couldn’t resist. It could have been worse – I was thinking of going with Show Me The Monet.)
   
Anyway, as I have mentioned countless times, my life is, for the most part, pretty darn boring. So much so that I always have to scramble to use up my vacation hours at work before I lose them. So between now and the beginning of November, I have to find things to do to fill up 67 vacation hours! I cut a chunk out last week, and took Thursday and Friday off. Thursday consisted of treating my car to new wiper blades, new sun shades, a new air freshener, a full tank of gas, and a thorough professional interior and exterior clean. Then I had a nap. Friday, because my friend L. volunteered to drive, we headed to the Bellagio to their Monet exhibit (French Impressionism has always been my favorite art genre). I have to say, it was a little on the sparse side and the entrance fee probably worked out to about a dollar a painting. I keep forgetting that you Yanks, even though I adore you, are, for the most part, really easily impressed and there were some works on show that wouldn’t have made it out of their basement storage area in such an exhibit in London or Paris. But they had one of my favorites (Camille Monet and a Child in the Artist's Garden in Argenteuil), and one he did in London, and one I have as Xmas cards and, well, it is just so lovely to be in the presence of such talent and beauty. I can truly understand why people pay so much for such works. Like, I have no clue as to why anyone in their right mind would pay more than fifty bucks for a pair of shoes, but, if I had the dosh, I’d easily drop a few mill on a painting.

3 comments:

  1. When is your birthday again? Around first of the year or something? Maybe I can save enough by then to chip in a few hundred K for a quality work of art. I agree with you entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was such a lovely day! Perfect weather, perfect company, but yeah, that gallery cracks me up. They are knowledgeable and there were a few very nice pieces, but it's so tiny! It's hard to compare it to the Louve or the Musee d'Orsay, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art...actually, you can't compare, it's just impossible. Fun day though and the fountains and botanical gardens were great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous! My sister-in-law just went to the Musee d'Orsay, home of my favorite Monet (Artist's Garden at Giverny), which was being prepared for a new display ... the following week ... so she didn't get to see it. Glad you got to see something fun!

    ReplyDelete