Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Leadership Chronicles: I’m Board Now

I am sure it will come as no surprise that this course included some physical tests; in this case, having to lift someone and be lifted, and that super-clichéd, karate-style board breaking deal (had this been outside I am sure there would have been that even more clichéd fire walking stuff). Apparently, we were going to learn to get into ka or kee or whatever the hell it is called and achieve some super human feats of strength. Now I did a lot of things at this retreat that made me uncomfortable because I kept reminding myself that my company paid a lot of money to send me here (over $2,000, I think) and I was not going to let them down, but there was no way in hell I was going to subject some poor soul to having to lift up me and my fat ass, twelve chins, and four or so spare tires. And no way was I going to attempt to lift anyone, whatever size they were. So just before this session I marched right up to Mr. Clean and told him that I had a bad back and that I could not do anything that put physical demands on me. I got out of the lifting part, but that excuse did not fly for the board-breaking. My attempts at this produced the most dramatic moment of the entire course and I truly believe it was this that led to my winning the Most Improved Student award (way more about that in the next post). I was the only one who did not break it on the first attempt; in fact, it took me about ten tries, I think.

Oh, so you have to know this before I go on: there was no alcohol or drugs allowed on site, but just before we started this session, Mr. Clean told us that there was wine and beer awaiting us in the dining room, as a treat for all our hard work. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, mmm, wine!

Anyway, so we had to write on the one side of the board what is our biggest block to leadership:




 (Yeah, no shit Sherlock, mine was low self-esteem!)

On the flip side we had to list what we would get if we could break through this block:

 
The words written in green were written before I attempted to break it. Mr. Clean stopped me halfway through my attempts and made me write more (the ones in red). To say this entire ordeal was one of the most uncomfortable moments of my life is no exaggeration. But the team was all rallying behind me, giving me advice on how to position myself, shouting encouragement, etc., but I just could not break that fucker. Until I did. Did positive thinking or getting in ka/kee break that board? Those on the course would say it did but I think the fact that I wanted to get out of there and start drinking may have had something to do with it!

 

1 comment:

  1. I don't see how they can expect someone who has no karate training to break a fucking board. And the writing--how much room is there? I'd need, like, a piece of plywood that you use for a Ping-Pong table. I really would have hated this.

    ReplyDelete