Saturday, August 29, 2026

Pass The Parcel – What’s your name? Who’s your daddy? Is he rich like me?

So, the parcels have been opened. And I shall reveal all, eventually, but I want to look up some retail prices and, in some cases, do some research on what the fuck some items are – no, really, there are a few things I have absolutely no clue as to what they are (because most being in the modern electrical genre, my inner Luddite was quite fractious during the opening ceremony).

But in the meantime, both my curiosity and frugalness were piqued by some things. For example, who bought these items? It comes as no surprise that identifying info was blacked out:

But don’t most parcels contain some sort of invoice or receipt in them? There was nothing like that in any of the parcels. And it was interesting too that none of the parcels were from Amazon, considering its world dominance. Although, some were marked with this:

So those could have originally been from Amazon. But the others, well, it was quite obvious that they had not been opened beforehand. But wouldn’t they have to be, just in case it was a sex toy or a weapon? If they were opened and any identifying paperwork removed, whoever repacked did a very fine job of it.

And then, why did the people who purchased these items not make a greater effort to track them down? I once had a $5 Kohl’s order lost and I did all I could to get that sucker back. So, I would for sure make an effort to locate a missing item that cost me $50 (the most expensive item I have researched thus far, but I think it is going to be surpassed by a very fancy looking bottle of perfume). Yes, I am sure there are extenuating circumstances, like maybe you died after placing the order. But then, it hit me: the majority of these items are the kind of things that men would buy. And men, being inherently lazy, and on the good side of the pay inequality scale, probably just couldn’t be arsed to find out.

More soon!

2 comments:

  1. I once sent something back to Amazon via the UPS Store. It was busy, so I went to the self-serve. Being of a certain age, I did not do it correctly. The app was involved, and some touchscreen, and maybe a label maker? Anyway, I dropped it in the bin thinking I *had* done it correctly, but when it didn't arrive at Amazon (and I checked EVERY DAY), I fretted about what to do. I finally went back to the UPS Store on the off chance that they had an Island of Misfit Toys for lost items, and they did! They checked it in and sent it back, and I quickly got my refund: $13.83. I grew up poor, so I don't waste money. So you're probably right—but it also could be that these people don't know the value of a dollar.

    Can't wait for the report!

    ReplyDelete